#IGNITE Code Camp

Shimotsu Elementary’s First Annual #IGNITE Code Camp

On the week of June 5th through June 9th we held our #IGNITE Code Camp at Shimotsu Elementary. This turned out to be a wonderful week long event that helped introduce our Shimotsu students to code through the use of Google CS-First, Scratch MIT, Makey Makey Kits and Ozobots.
How it all started:
This is the first year that started a full on after school code club. I was introduced to coding through Hour of Code. Later on, as I attended TCEA in 2016, I saw how coding was something that can help kids grow and enhance their learning. I was amazed as to how many schools started implementing it throughout Texas and we were falling behind as a district, let alone as an elementary. This school year I offered to start a code club without knowing what do or how to start it. I was troubled and puzzled because I was not sure where to start. However, I had already started using Scratch MIT the previous year in my class, so we just naturally started with that. Just by simply printing out the help cards and having the students sit down and learn the basics helped tremendously. In a short period of time students were sharing their own creations with me and some were amazing. Later on I purchased a couple of books through our book fair and ordered a couple of more online and we had a little library that helped our students grow tremendously. The great thing was that I, as a code club coach or sponsor, did not have to be an expert. I just let the students help each other and collaborate and find ways to solve their problems. It was something that helped me use some of the same methods in my core classes. It is amazing to see what kids can create if you allow them to exercise their own creativity.
#IGNITE came to fruition because I wanted to expose kids to coding through various projects that were funded through DonorsChoose.org. Also, Mr. DeLaCruz from one our district high schools had the same vision to have a code camp and was a great help in getting this all organized.

What is #IGNITE?
IGNITE is the name we gave our program. Our main objective is to get students to be inspired, imagine, innovate, envision, nurture and create through the use of technology. This camp helps student with the basics of code through the use of Code.org activities, Google CS-First, Scratch, Makey Makey Kits and Ozobots and drones. We want the students to be able to have access to different types of tools to help learn the various ways that code and programming can be used.


We are excited to announce that this will be something that will be ongoing through the year and in the summer to come. We are excited to continue being advocates for the importance of coding and programming in primary schools. We would like to thank Code.org, Google CS-First, Scratch MIT, Makey Makey Kits and Ozobots for helping make this camp a success.

You can see our weeks activities in the following video: https://animoto.com/play/mXjutwwIYSmJNX7sW8K9CA

Thank you,

Alfonso Mendoza Jr. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scratch:Easy Enough for Kindergarten